Colette Meringue: Rounds 1, 2 and 3
While puzzling over the Renfrew, I’ve also been puzzling over the Meringue. The skirt seems to be much easier to work out sizing adjustments versus the Renfrew. Fewer problem areas. Below is the first attempt at the Meringue. It’s a straight up size 6.
I didn’t agonize over the finishing of the scallops. I did go out and buy an invisible zipper foot so I could practice with that. Due to my petite/short-waisted figure, I lowered the top of the skirt by 1″. Easy enough. See Meringue Round 2 below.
I’m having trouble with the front. It’s a bit tight across the quads. I don’t like that puckering. I undid the side seams and kept the 5/8″ seam allowance on the back of the skirt and did 1/4″ seam allowance on the front. It helped a little bit. See below.
And here’s the back of the skirt.
I experimented with making the bottom a tiny bit narrower, starting at the part where it’s the tightest across my quads (sounds better than thighs!) and I made it shorter by removing the scallops (i.e. just pinning the skirt up higher). I would wear the skirt this way in the winter to work with tights and boots.
I think the skirt is ready to be made into a “real” skirt. Stay tuned.