Papercut Patterns – Petrouchka Peplum Top
Taking advantage of the free worldwide shipping deal Papercut Patterns had right before Christmas, I ordered three patterns, one of which is the Petrouchka Peplum Top. The patterns arrived on a Friday and I spent the evening making a muslin and adjusting the pattern. By Wednesday I had a top that I dared to wear to work on Thursday. In the picture is my first “real” version of the top (made out of the same fabric as my first Renfrew top).
- I didn’t have enough for the inside of the peplum so I used some really thin white fabric instead.
- I am going to re-do the collar. I didn’t shorten the neck binding as much as I should have. When I wear the shirt, the front and back of the neckline gapes.
- Will see about widening the neckline for a more flattering look on me and my slopey shoulders. According to The Perfect Fit book, raglan sleeves are not flattering on those with sloping shoulders. Whoops.
- Took off 3/4″ on the front shirt sleeve seams.
- Took 1″ off the center back.
- Took 2″ off the back length.
- Tool some length off the front so that the curve of the pattern would still be there and the spot where the front seam landed on me was still the same. Slightly tricky.
- Sleeve length I kept the same.
- Graded the sleeve seams and the side seams of the front and back so that the armpit seam would be higher (adjusting for petiteness).
- Also didn’t have enough fabric to avoid piecing the peplum together with each piece on a different part of the grain using up every inch of fabric.
I love the peplum, it’s flattering and seems fancy even though the raglan style is casual. Both fancy and casual at once. Easy to make. And surprisingly easy to alter the pattern. Or my brain was just working that day.
Overall, I liked this shirt a lot and can see myself making a few more so I can perfect (and practice) fitting the shirt to me. This top was the first item of clothing I have made (and worn) for myself in over ten years – so this was a major accomplishment.